Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is the final Brisket weight yeild from the purchase weight?
60% 18 50.00%
50% 12 33.33%
40% 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2007, 03:26 PM
I'll Make You Famous!
BBQ Guru

Txngent has a spectacular aura aboutTxngent has a spectacular aura about

Default Final Brisket Yield

Brisket Yield

When you take into account the trimming of the brisket before and after cooking, plus the shrinkage that occurs during cooking, don't be surprised if you end up with a 50% yield of edible meat from a whole, untrimmed brisket. That means 6 pounds of edible meat from a 12 pound brisket. Depending on the brisket and the internal temp you cook it to, it may be as low as 40% or as high as 60%.

If you're cooking brisket for a party, figure 4-5 ounces of meat per sandwich or 6 ounces of sliced meat on a plate (8 ounces for hearty eaters). Using a 40% yield, just to be safe, a 12 pound brisket yields 19 4-ounce sandwiches or almost 13 6-ounce plate servings.

I read this on Weber and it made me wonder if I was in the norm or not. I am going by the PACKERS.... the fat boys.... the only ones you see on sale below 1.00/#.

I get about 40% of a packer after cooking and trimming from the purchase weight. What about it? How do ya'll do?
Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 PM
BBQ Guru

DaHorns will become famous soon enough

I have always understood it to be up to 50% but I'm sure that varies as you said with the temp/time you cook the brisket. I voted 60% yeild as an optimist.......
Old 01-21-2007, 04:24 PM
BBQ Artist

Oli is on a distinguished road

I alway use the formula that 10 lb brisket feeds 12-15...and that math has worked for years...as far as shrinkage, I dont think there is a correct answer... that would have to be based on ??dry heat , wet heat, humidity, brisket cut and thickness how it was trimmed, amount of fat?? so I dont think there is a good answer but 50 is close...you can regain some shrinkage back by using the bbq sauce and water mixture lightly poured over the sliced meat it will absorb the moisture back.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Not just a pretty face.
BBQ Guru

1044 is on a distinguished road

Like Oli says, it will vary. You will also get a different yield ratio cooking 8-10 lb'ers, as opposed to cooking 14-16 lb'ers. Time on the pit is a factor.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:01 PM
I'll Make You Famous!
BBQ Guru

I cannot say I have ever got 60% MEAT off a cooked packer from the purchase weight. I try to trim outer fat before the get go.... leaving it moderate lean (you can still se a 1/4 to 1/8" fat). That almost takes 10% before cooking. Again, I am saying a Fatty Packer. Usually in the 15# range.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:21 PM
BBQ Artist

Michiana Mark is on a distinguished road

I think it depends on the brisket itself, and how well it was trimmed at the producer. Some leave more, some less fat. 50 to 60% is a good average. I always trim as much as I can before cooking. Less grease in the pit and seems to cook faster. More rub surface area, better smoke ring too. Just my .02
Old 01-21-2007, 06:57 PM
BBQ Pitmaster

david brace has a spectacular aura aboutdavid brace has a spectacular aura aboutdavid brace has a spectacular aura about

I'm a LITTLE out of practice on briskets...but I think I might still vote...nah, I'll behave.

DB
Old 01-24-2007, 06:01 AM
BBQ Guru

I took this from a site posted here last year....

Brisket Yield

When you take into account the trimming of the brisket before and after cooking, plus the shrinkage that occurs during cooking, don't be surprised if you end up with a 50% yield of edible meat from a whole, untrimmed brisket. That means 6 pounds of edible meat from a 12 pound brisket. Depending on the brisket and the internal temp you cook it to, it may be as low as 40% or as high as 60%.

If you're cooking brisket for a party, figure 4-5 ounces of meat per sandwich or 6 ounces of sliced meat on a plate (8 ounces for hearty eaters). Using a 40% yield, just to be safe, a 12 pound brisket yields 19 4-ounce sandwiches or almost 13 6-ounce plate servings.

http://http.virtualweberbullet.com/b...t.html#slicing
Old 01-24-2007, 08:26 AM
I'll Make You Famous!
BBQ Guru

That link is where I got my information.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:26 AM
BBQ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txngent
That link is where I got my information.
ahhhhh, very well then......